Search Engine Optimisation growth hack- NAP Citation
Get more visible on search engines (read Google!) with just the simple trick,by using NAP citation.
Why NAP is important?
The dictionary meaning of the word “Citation” is “a mention”. With regards to Search Engine Optimisation (SEO), citation refers to all “online mentions” of any person or entity.
Every mention of an entity contributes to its online presence thereby impacting SEO.
So, how do search engines like Google, Yahoo, Bing etc. determine that 2 given citations are of the same person or company?
This is where NAP plays a very important role! It stands for
P: Phone Number
How does it help?
NAP citation is the unique mention of any entity online. Let me elaborate:
Take the example of my company:
Name: Richfield Ventures
Address: Wework building, Gurgaon
Phone NO: 887******0
- More than 1 company can have the same name, so how will search engines determine that this is a unique mention
- WeWork is a co-working space & so if even 1 company with the same name is operating out of WeWork, it will be impossible for search engines to determine with the name & address alone whether the mention is unique to my company or not
- But my phone number is just my own, hence a combination of the 3 pieces of information is absolutely unique to my company.
Hence, it is for this reason that search engines use a combination of “NAP” to club together definite mentions of any entity online. If we talk about Google, your Google map listing is considered to be your very 1st NAP citation. Therefore, if you want to pump up your SEO and get your content visibility on the internet via search engines, here are a few things you can do:
Copy paste your Google map NAP citation & use the same NAP (not even a slightest difference such as punctuation marks etc.) every time you have to share your address online:
- Across all your social media handles
- For all online documents
- For filling up forms online (registration)
- Ads & backlinks creation for SEO